Tarentum (Taras, modernes Taranto) an der Südküste Apuliens, Italien, war eine griechische und dann eine römische Stadt. Tarent, mit seinem ausgezeichneten Hafen, kontrollierte einen großen Teil der Magna Graecia und führte die Italiote Liga an, und war während der gesamten Antike eine strategisch bedeutende Stadt. So spielte es eine zentrale Rolle in den Kriegen zwischen Pyrrhus und Rom im 3. Jahrhundert v. Chr. und erneut während des Zweiten Punischen Krieges, als Hannibal Süditalien besetzte. Während von den Gebäuden des antiken Tarents heute nur noch wenige Überreste erhalten sind, verfügt das Museum der Stadt über eine der größten Sammlungen griechischer Keramik der Welt und verfügt über viele feine Bronzen, Goldschmuck und Bodenmosaiken.

Historischer Überblick

Stiftung

Tarentum, oder Taras, wie es zuerst auf Griechisch genannt wurde, war eine Kolonie, die im 8. Jahrhundert v. Chr. Von Sparta als Teil der griechischen Kolonisierungswelle der Region gegründet wurde, die als Magna Graecia bekannt wurde. Der Überlieferung nach wurde die Stadt 706 v. Chr. von dem spartanischen Helden Phalanthus gegründet. Die ersten Kolonisten sollen auch die Nachkommen spartanischer Frauen und Heloten gewesen sein, der halbversklavten Landarbeiter, die ihren spartanischen Herren dienten. Archäologische Beweise weisen jedoch auf eine viel frühere neolithische Besiedlung hin, gefolgt von einer mykenischen Präsenz in der Gegend während der Bronzezeit.

Waren und Münzen aus Tarentum wurden entlang der Süd- und Adriaküste Italiens ausgegraben.

Eine blühende Stadt

An der Küste gelegen und mit dem besten Hafen im Golf von Tarent, würde die Stadt prosperieren und zu einem der wichtigsten Handelszentren der Region werden. Das Wachstum der Stadt brachte sie in Konflikt mit lokalen Rivalen wie Metapontum am anderen Ende des Golfs, aber Tarent errang 490 und 480 v. An diese Schlachten wurde in Delphi in Weihungen gedacht, obwohl der Frieden nicht lange währte, da die Messapier Tarent c. 475 v. Chr. in einer von Herodot als "großes Blutbad" beschriebenen Schlacht (7.170.3). Eine Folge der militärischen Schwäche der Stadt war ein Sturz der herrschenden Klasse, die durch ein System begrenzter Demokratie ersetzt wurde.

Das Schicksal von Tarent verbesserte sich gegen Ende des 5. Waren und Münzen aus Tarent (darunter Silberstater mit ihrer markanten männlichen Figur auf einem Delphin) wurden entlang der Süd- und Adriaküste Italiens ausgegraben, um den Wohlstand und die Handelsfähigkeit der Stadt zu veranschaulichen. Große Tempelheiligtümer und Friedhöfe zeugen ebenfalls vom Wachstum der Stadt in der zweiten Hälfte des 5. Jahrhunderts v. Die Stadt gründete 433 v. Chr. sogar ihre eigene Kolonie im Westen, Herakleia (Herakleia). Um 400 v. Chr. wurde Heraclea Sitz der Italiote League, einer Vereinigung süditalienischer Stadtstaaten, die von Tarent dominiert wurde.

Liebesgeschichte?

Melden Sie sich für unseren kostenlosen wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter an!

Während des 4. Jahrhunderts v. Chr. wurde die Regierung von Tarent vom pythagoreischen Denken (Pythagoras hatte seine Schule weiter unten an der Küste gegründet) und einem Mann, insbesondere Archytas (ca. 400-350 v. Chr.), dominiert. Der berühmte Mathematiker, Pythagoräer und Staatsmann wurde siebenmal zum General gewählt und schloss wahrscheinlich ein Bündnis mit Syrakus, dem mächtigen Stadtstaat auf Sizilien, das Tarent zu einer Zeit, in der Dionysius I., der Tyrann von Syrakus, damit beschäftigt war, Städte zu plündern, eine weitere Expansion ermöglichte in Süditalien. In der zweiten Hälfte des 4. Jahrhunderts v. Chr. kämpfte Tarentum darum, seine regionale Vorherrschaft zu behaupten und der ständig wachsenden Bedrohung durch die Messapier und Lukaner zu begegnen, indem es Söldnerarmeen anheuerte, die oft von Generälen aus Sparta und Epirus angeführt wurden. Im 3. Jahrhundert v. Chr. war jedoch ein viel gefährlicherer Feind in Magna Graecia unterwegs: Rom.

Pyrrhus & Rom

Zum Glück für Tarent stand ein mächtiger Verbündeter zur Verfügung, um sie vor der römischen Besetzung zu retten. Der große General und König von Epirus, Pyrrhus, reagierte auf einen Hilferuf der Stadt, als sie 280 v. Chr. Von den Römern angegriffen wurde. Pyrrhus überquerte die Adria mit seiner 25.000 Mann starken Armee und gewann mit 20 Kriegselefanten und einer überlegenen Kavallerie von 3.000 Kämpfen gegen die römischen Armeen bei Herakleia im Jahr 280 v. Die Siege forderten jedoch auf beiden Seiten hohe Menschenleben, und diese Kämpfe waren nicht entscheidend, daher der dauerhafte Ausdruck "ein Pyrrhussieg". Noch wichtiger für Tarentum war, dass Pyrrhus bald gezwungen war, die Region zu verlassen und der zunehmenden Bedrohung durch Karthago für seine Interessen in Sizilien zu begegnen. Nachdem das Feld nun frei war, besetzte Rom die Stadt im Jahr 270 v. Chr. und danach wurde Tarent ein Verbündeter der dominierenden Macht der Halbinsel.

Hannibal & Rom

Als Hannibal im Zweiten Punischen Krieg (218-201 v. Chr.) in Italien einfiel, wurde die Region erneut zum wichtigsten Schlachtfeld im Mittelmeerraum. Tarent stand wie die meisten süditalienischen Städte auf der Seite von Karthago, aber die Akropolis und der Hafen von Tarent wurden dennoch von Rom besetzt. Hannibal suchte verzweifelt nach einem Hafen, von dem aus seine Armee aus Afrika versorgt werden konnte, aber er konnte Tarent nicht einnehmen und schaffte es nur, die äußere Stadt zu besetzen.

Während der Wirren der Punischen Kriege wurde 213 v. Chr. ein kurzer Versuch unternommen, die Unabhängigkeit der Stadt wiederzuerlangen, als eine Reihe von Aristokraten die Regierung stürzte. Es war eine kurzlebige Rebellion und die Stadt geriet 209 v. Chr. Wieder vollständig unter römische Kontrolle, als sie von Quintus Fabius Maximus erobert wurde. Als Scipio Africanus nach Afrika segelte und 203 v. Tarentum wurde Rom ausgeliefert. Da ihre Ländereien stark reduziert und direkt von einem römischen Prätor regiert wurden, erlangte die Stadt schließlich ihren früheren Status als formeller Verbündeter zurück. 180 v. Mit der Verlängerung der Via Appia nach Brundisium weiter nach Südosten verlor Tarentum seine Position als wichtigster Hafen in Süditalien.

Tarent entwickelte sich als bescheidene Stadt in der römischen Republik weiter und im Jahr 122 v. Chr. wurde die Kolonie Neptunia gegründet, die 89 v. Chr. Teil des eigentlichen Tarentums werden sollte. 59 v. Chr. wurden Landstücke von Tarent an Veteranen gegeben und die Stadt wurde immer stärker romanisiert. Die Stadt produzierte noch immer Produkte für den Export wie Wolle, Textilien, tyrische Purpurfarben und Lebensmittel. Epigraphische Zeugnisse, die Dichte an Privatwohnungen und das Vorhandensein mehrerer großer Villen zeigen, dass die Stadt bis in die Kaiserzeit hinein wirtschaftlich aktiv und relativ wohlhabend blieb, als Kaiser Nero (reg. 54-68 n. Chr.) ihr den Koloniestatus verlieh.

Spätantike

Sowohl Juden als auch Christen waren in Tarent ab dem 1. Jahrhundert n. Chr. stark vertreten, mit einem Bistum, das im 4. Jahrhundert n. Chr. oder früher gegründet wurde. Während der gotischen Invasionen wurde die Stadt trotz ihrer neuen Befestigungen von Totila, dem König der Ostgoten (reg. 541–552 n. Chr.), besetzt. Der ausgezeichnete Hafen der Stadt hörte nie auf, eine Marinepräsenz anzuziehen, als sich die Gelegenheit ergab und Konstans II., der byzantinische Kaiser, schickte eine Flotte nach Italien, die 661 n. Chr. in Tarent landete. Im Jahr 668 n. Chr. trat Tarentum, immer noch eine strategisch nützliche Anschaffung für Invasoren, mit einem Paukenschlag in das Mittelalter ein, als der langobardische Herzog Romauld die Stadt plünderte.

Archäologische Überreste

Tarent hatte einst große Sakralkomplexe mit beeindruckenden Tempeln, aber aufgrund der Tatsache, dass die Stadt seit der Antike ununterbrochen besetzt war, wurde der Großteil der großen antiken Architektur längst abgebaut und an anderer Stelle in moderneren Gebäuden wiederverwendet. Eine Ausnahme bilden die beiden massiven Säulen, die einst zu einem archaischen Poseidon-Tempel gehörten. Diese Säulen stehen jetzt in der Ecke des Stadtplatzes (nicht an ihrem ursprünglichen Standort) und ihre massive Größe weist auf die Ungeheuerlichkeit dieses heute verlorenen Tempels hin.

Was Tarentum an Architektur fehlen mag, wird durch den Reichtum der vor Ort ausgegrabenen Artefakte, der umliegenden Landschaft und des Hafens selbst mehr als ausgeglichen. Viele der schönsten und am besten erhaltenen Beispiele für schwarz- und rotfigurige Keramik wurden an diesem Ort entdeckt. Tarents prächtiges MARTA-Museum besitzt eine Sammlung, die in Umfang und Kunstfertigkeit mit der von Athen und dem Vatikan vergleichbar ist. Goldschmuck in Form von Diademen, Ringen, Ohrringen und Halsketten mit minutiösem und kunstvollem Filigran- und Körnungsdekor sind eine weitere reiche Quelle von Zeugnissen, die auf die Geschicklichkeit der Tarenter Metallarbeiter und den Reichtum der Stadt im 4.-3. Jahrhundert v. Chr. hinweisen. Viele der Artefakte stammen aus Gräbern und keines ist interessanter als das Grab des Athleten, ein Grab eines Tarent-Siegers bei den Olympischen Spielen mit Diskus, Gewichten und Speerköpfen und rührenderweise dem Preis, den er zu Lebzeiten gewonnen hat , die schwarzfigurige Amphore, die allen Gewinnern überreicht wird.

Besonders hervorzuheben sind die vielen feinen Bodenmosaiken aus den größeren römischen Residenzen der Stadt. Das größte und am besten erhaltene ist ein Mosaik aus dem späten 2. oder frühen 3. Jahrhundert n. Chr. mit vier Haupttafeln, die eine Entführung einer Nymphe und zusätzliche Szenen einer Leoparden-, Löwen- und Tigerjagd darstellen. Kleinere Seitenteile zeigen Vögel und Früchte.

Ein weiteres prächtiges Bodenmosaik hat rein geometrische und florale Formen mit einem großen Mittelkreis, dessen gefaltete velarium (Vorhang) erhält durch die Verwendung unterschiedlich schattierter Mosaiksteine Stücke. Dieses perfekt quadratische Mosaik stammt aus dem 2. Jahrhundert n. Chr. und gehörte zu einem römischen Haus oder domus im Zentrum von Tarent.

Schließlich ist eines der Starstücke aus dem antiken Tarent und eines, das die Besucher des archäologischen Museums begrüßt, eine Bronzestatue des Zeus. Datierung bis c. 530 v. Chr. hielt die Figur einst in einer Hand einen Blitz und in der anderen einen Adler. Die Statue wurde ursprünglich auf einem marmornen dorischen Kapitell aufgestellt und stand in einem Heiligtum in der Stadt, das dem Haupt der olympischen Götter gewidmet ist, eine starke Erinnerung an die griechischen Ursprünge einer der reichsten und einflussreichsten antiken Städte Süditaliens.


Tarentum-Genealogie (in Allegheny County, PA)

HINWEIS: Zusätzliche Datensätze, die für Tarentum gelten, finden Sie auch auf den Seiten von Allegheny County und Pennsylvania.

Geburtsregister von Tarent

Aufzeichnungen zum Friedhof von Tarentum

Sacred Heart Cemetery US Gen Webarchiv

Friedhof Saint Clement Milliarden Gräber

St. Clement Cemetery US Gen Webarchiv

Tarent-Volkszählungsaufzeichnungen

US-Volkszählung, 1790-1940 Familiensuche

Kirchenbücher von Tarent

Stadtverzeichnisse von Tarent

Todesregister von Tarentum

Einwanderungsunterlagen für Tarent

Tarent Land Records

Kartenaufzeichnungen von Tarent

Karte von Tarentum, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 1901. Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Tarentum, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Februar 1897 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Tarentum, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Oktober 1891 Library of Congress

Tarentum Heiratsurkunden

Tarent Zeitungen und Nachrufe

Offline-Zeitungen für Tarent

Nach Angaben des US Newspaper Directory wurden die folgenden Zeitungen gedruckt, sodass möglicherweise Papier- oder Mikrofilmkopien verfügbar sind. Weitere Informationen zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen finden Sie in unserem Artikel zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen.

Allegheny Valley Times. (Tarent, Allegheny Co., PA) 1881-1888

Abendtelegramm. (Tarent, Pa.) 1914-1923

Tarent Telegramm. (Tarent, Pennsylvania) 1896-1914

Valley Daily News. (Tarent, Pa.) 1904-1968

Tarentum Nachlassaufzeichnungen

Aufzeichnungen der Tarent-Schule

Tarent Steuerunterlagen

Ergänzungen oder Korrekturen auf dieser Seite? Wir freuen uns über Ihre Vorschläge über unsere Kontaktseite


Geschichte Zeitachse

(Valley New Dispatch – 23. Juli 1995)

1734 – Shawnee-Indianer bewohnen das Allegheny Valley.

1795 – West Deer, East Deer, Frazer, Springdale, Springdale Township, Cheswick, Fawn, Tarentum, Brackenridge, Harrison, bekannt als Deer Township.

1805 – Highway von Sharpsburg nach Freeport angelegtes Öl entdeckt.

1821 – Burtner Haus gebaut.

1826 – Der Bau des Kanals durch das Tal beginnt.

1829 – Der Kanal nimmt den Betrieb in Tarentum auf.

1836 – Deer Township wird in East und West Deer aufgeteilt West Deer bleibt heute so wie es war.

1842 – Tarentum zieht sich von East Deer zurück.

1852 – Erste Häuserreihe an der Federal Street von der Penn Salt Manufacturing Co. für Mitarbeiter gebaut.

1853 – Kanal zugeschüttet, um ein Bett für die Eisenbahnschienen zu machen Familie Harrison ließ sich oberhalb von Natrona nieder.

1858 – Fawn zieht sich aus East Deer zurück, enthält aber immer noch die heutigen Harrison und Brackenridge.

1860 – 800 Männer, die von Penn Salt Natrona beschäftigt sind, erreichen 1.870.

1862 – Mehr als 200 Natrona-Männer melden sich zum Dienst in der Unionsarmee.

1863 – Harrison trennt sich am 7. Februar von Fawn.

1868 – Harrison Bevölkerung mit 3.000 gemeldet.

1880 – Potts Mansion gebaut.

1888 – 72 Stunden die Woche, 1 Dollar pro Tag Lohnskala bei Penn Salt.

1889 – West Penn Press, organisiert und ansässig in der North Canal Street, druckt Natrona News.

1895 – Erste Straßenbahn fährt durch Natrona, Tarentum Traction Company.

1896 – Feuer zerstört Metallraffinerie der Penn Salt Fidelity Glass Company beginnt in Brackenridge.

1901 – Brackenridge trennt sich von der Harrison First National Bank of Natrona, die sich in der Federal Street befindet.

1901 – Allegheny Iron and Steel nimmt den Betrieb auf.

1902 – Pond Street School gebaut.

1904 – Valley Daily News, organisiert von Charles Howe.

1906 – Valley Hospital in West Tarentum organisiert und betrieben.

1907 – Natrona Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 wird gegründet.

1907 – Die Arbeitszeit in der Stahlindustrie beträgt 12-Stunden-Tage, 24 Stunden jeden zweiten Sonntag.

1918 – Feuer zerstört Penn Salt Grippeepidemie tötet Hunderte.

1920 – Erstes Feuerwehrauto, das von der Natrona Fire Company für 12.500 US-Dollar gekauft wurde, die ersten 40 Fuß Beton wurden am Natrona Dam fertiggestellt.

1921 – Die Arbeiten am Natrona-Staudamm werden wegen Geldmangels eingestellt Harbrack High School wird eröffnet, 375 Holztreppen werden von Natrona zum Gipfel des Hügels zur Schule gebaut Citizens Bank of Natrona eröffnet.

1923 – Harrison Township Sanitäranlage teilweise in Betrieb.

1927 – Schleuse Nr. 4 am Allegheny River wird offiziell für den allgemeinen Flussverkehr geöffnet. Der Name des Birdville Post Office wird in Natrona Heights Post Office geändert.

1929 – Birdville School gebaut.

1930 – Allegheny Steel Company fusioniert mit der West Penn Steel Company erste Luftpostabholung auf dem Natrona Air Field Die Natrona Citizens National Bank fusioniert mit der First National Bank of Natrona.

1931 – Harrison Township Steuerabgabe in Höhe von 7,5 Mühlen.

1940 – Busse übernehmen die Oberleitungslinie Natrona Regenwasserkanalisation und dürfen vom Hügel durch die Chestnut Street und Garfield Street die Gasse hinunter zum Fluss fahren.


Nick J. Petrishen, Besitzer von Nick Chevrolet in Tarentum, stirbt im Alter von 77 Jahren

Die täglichen und wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter von TribLIVE liefern Ihnen die gewünschten Nachrichten und Informationen direkt in Ihren Posteingang.

In der Nacht, bevor er einen Schlaganfall erlitt, der ihm letztendlich das Leben kostete, besuchte Nick Petrishen Jr. mit seinem einzigen Sohn den Film &ldquoFord v Ferrari.&rdquo

&bdquoEr hat es die ganze Zeit wirklich genossen&rdquo, sagte sein Sohn Nick S. Petrishen, 50, aus Natrona Heights. &ldquoDer ironische Teil ist, dass der lokale Chevy-Mann nach dem Film &lsquoFord gegen Ferrari&rsquo zwei Schläge hat.&rdquo

Nick J. Petrishen Jr., fast 60 Jahre lang Eigentümer, Betreiber und Vizepräsident von Nick Chevrolet in Tarentum, starb am 29. November zu Hause. Er war 77 Jahre alt.

Petrishen, ein überlebensgroßer Charakter, der dafür bekannt ist, dass er sich mit den Leuten anfreundet, die sein Autohaus unterstützten, und seine Großzügigkeit für gemeinnützige Zwecke Rennwagen gestartet.

Er nahm auch regelmäßig an Rennen vom Lernerville Speedway in Sarver bis Daytona Beach, Florida, teil.

&bdquoEr mochte alte Muscle-Cars, alles, was schnell fahren konnte. Dale Earnhardt (Sr.) war sein Favorit“, sagte Petrishen. &bdquoEr stand vielen lokalen Fahrern nahe. Nachdem er seine (ersten) Schlaganfälle hatte, saß er im Rollstuhl, und jedes Mal, wenn ich ihn mitnahm, kündigten sie der Menge an, dass er anwesend war.&rdquo

&bdquoWir haben ihn gerade zu einem Rennen in Lernerville mitgenommen, und einige der Fahrer kamen tatsächlich vor dem Rennen und saßen mit ihm und unterhielten sich mit ihm auf der Tribüne&rdquo, sagte seine Tochter Michele Petrishen, 54, aus Bemus Point, N.Y.

Nick Petrishen Jr. begann wie seine vier Schwestern und ein Bruder als Teenager in seinem Familienunternehmen bei Power City Motors in Springdale zu arbeiten. Er hatte keine andere Wahl in dieser Angelegenheit, aber er war trotzdem aufgeregt, es zu tun und sich als Verkäufer einzuleben.

&bdquoEr ist definitiv dafür geboren und aufgewachsen&ldquo, sagte sein Sohn Nick S. Petrishen. &bdquoEr hat jedem erzählt, dass er den besten Job der Welt hat, weil er sein ganzes Leben lang als Autoverkäufer für (BS) bezahlt wurde.&ldquo

Herr Petrishen hatte ein großes Herz und half gerne anderen, indem er sowohl Highschool-Leichtathletik als auch Little League-Teams finanziell unterstützte. Er unterstützte auch die örtliche Polizei und Feuerwehr sowie andere gemeinnützige Organisationen.

&bdquoNach seinem ersten Schlaganfall war eine der Geschichten, die einer der Rettungssanitäter mir unten im Krankenhaus erzählte, &ldquoDein Vater hat an den Rettungsdienst gespendet, aber er hat es per Post gemacht, er hat es persönlich gemacht,&rsquo &rdquo Michele Petrishen. &bdquoEr würde ihnen persönlich einen Scheck überreichen.&ldquo

Seine Kinder waren sich einig, dass ihr Vater einen scharfen Sinn für Humor hatte, und das half ihm, seine ersten beiden Schlaganfälle zu überleben.

Nick S. Petrishen erinnerte sich an eine Geschichte, wie sein Vater eine lebensgroße Schaufensterpuppe von Mr. Goodwrench im Autohaus mit einem Hut, einer Brille, einer falschen Waffe und einer brennenden Zigarette ausstattete. Das erschreckte eine Reinigungskraft im Autohaus.

&bdquoUnd die Geschichte besagt, dass er ungefähr fünf Minuten mit erhobenen Händen dastand, bis ihm die Zigarette aus dem Mund fiel&bdquo Nick S. Petrishen.

Eine andere Tochter, Bridgette Ladie, 51, aus Buffalo Township, erinnerte sich daran, ihren Vater zu einem Konzert von Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons mitgenommen zu haben. Sie sagte, ihr Vater habe immer Oldies gehört.

&bdquoIch erinnere mich, dass ich mit meinem Vater ein weißes Caprice-Cabrio fuhr, und ich saß auf dem Vordersitz, den Kopf auf seinem Schoß und das Verdeck heruntergeklappt, und hörte Oldies. Und ich würde einfach einschlafen“, sagte sie.

Herr Petrishen hinterlässt seine 55-jährige Frau, Loretta Susan (Szymkowiak), die Petrishen-Kinder Michele Petrishen aus Bemus Point, NY, Bridgette Ladie aus Buffalo Township und Nick S. Petrishen aus Natrona Heights, drei Enkel und vier Urenkel und Geschwister Carol Ann Koprivnikar von Natrona Heights, Rose Mary Koprivnikar von Natrona Heights, Janice Langham von Lower Burrell, John J. Petrishen von Lower Burrell und Sue Zaleski von Natrona Heights.

Paul Guggenheimer ist ein Mitarbeiter von Tribune-Review. Sie können Paul unter 724-226-7706 oder [email protected] kontaktieren.

Unterstützen Sie den lokalen Journalismus und helfen Sie uns, weiterhin über die Geschichten zu berichten, die für Sie und Ihre Gemeinde wichtig sind.

Die täglichen und wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter von TribLIVE liefern Ihnen die gewünschten Nachrichten und Informationen direkt in Ihren Posteingang.


Tarent Geschichtsstiftung zum 35-jährigen Jubiläum

Die täglichen und wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter von TribLIVE liefern Ihnen die gewünschten Nachrichten und Informationen direkt in Ihren Posteingang.

Zum Gedenken an 35 Jahre seit ihrer Gründung veranstaltet die Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc. am 30. Mai ein Abendessen.

Die Stiftung, die am 11. Mai 1973 gegründet und gegründet wurde, erforscht und kompiliert die lokale Geschichte, sagte der geschäftsführende Direktor der Stiftung, Robert Lucas. Er sagte, die Stiftung sei wichtig, weil sie "einen gründlichen Einblick in die Geschichte" der Gegend bietet.

Der 11. Mai ist auch das Geburtsdatum von Henry Marie Brackenridge, dem Gründer von Tarentum. Die Stadt wurde 1829 angelegt, sagte Lucas. Obwohl die ersten Siedler in den 1790er Jahren begannen, in das Tal zu ziehen, sagte Lucas, dass es bis 1796 nicht als sicher vor Indianermassakern galt.

Die Stiftung gibt eine vierteljährlich erscheinende Zeitschrift, die Tarentum Times, heraus, die an ihre Mitglieder verschickt wird. Cindy Homburg, Vorstandsmitglied, sagte, jede Ausgabe enthalte "verschiedene Geschichten über das alte Tarentum und Bilder des alten Tarentums".

Die Stiftung stellt auch Tränenblätter für Zeitungen zusammen, die schließlich in Mikrofilme umgewandelt werden. Es führt auch Genealogie-Dateien, bringt Wahrzeichen an Gebäuden an und sammelt Fotografien der Gegend, sagte Lucas.

Lucas sagte, es sei sowohl für Bewohner als auch für Stiftungsmitglieder wichtig, sich auf der Rückseite von Fotos auszuweisen. Die Bewohner können der Stiftung historische Materialien, einschließlich Fotos, spenden, indem sie Lucas kontaktieren.

Die Stiftung sammelt historisches Material, aber keine Artefakte, sagte Lucas.

"In erster Linie konzentrieren wir uns auf die Geschichte und die Menschen und ihren Beitrag im nordöstlichen Allegheny County", sagte er.

Lucas, ein Einwohner von Tarent, sagte, die Mitglieder der Stiftung seien über das ganze Land verstreut. Mehr als 700 Menschen seien seit 1973 beigetreten, und einige leben so weit entfernt wie Kanada, Alaska, Hawaii und Kalifornien, sagte er.

Sowohl Mitglieder als auch die Öffentlichkeit sind zum Abendessen eingeladen, das von Robin & Company of Freeport bewirtet wird. Dies ist das erste Abendessen, das die Stiftung seit fünf Jahren veranstaltet.

Nach dem Abendessen wird eine Diashow von Tarent vor 100 Jahren gezeigt. Ausgestellt werden Erinnerungsstücke und Homburgs eigene Postkarten.

Die Stiftung besitzt kein Eigentum. Lucas verwaltet die Finanzen der Stiftung von seinem Homeoffice aus, und Vorstandssitzungen finden in der First United Presbyterian Church statt, 913 Mitglieder der Lock St. Foundation wählen Vorstandsmitglieder.

"Es macht Spaß und macht Spaß", sagte Homburg, "und es ist großartig für Leute, die Geschichte lieben und sie bewahren wollen." Weitere Informationen:

In Kürze

Wer: Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc.

Was: Abendessen anlässlich des 35-jährigen Bestehens der Stiftung.

Wo: Erste Vereinigte Presbyterianische Kirche, 913 Lock St., Tarentum.

Details: Tickets kosten 10 $ – und müssen bis heute gekauft werden.

Sie sind in der Gemeinschaftsbibliothek der Standorte Harrison und Tarentum im Allegheny Valley erhältlich.

Tickets sind auch erhältlich, indem Sie noch heute einen Scheck an die Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation bei P.O. Postfach 1776 Tarentum, PA 15084. Anfragen per Post müssen bis Dienstag eingehen. Weitere Informationen:

Wie man beitritt

Interessierte können ihren jährlichen Mitgliedsbeitrag von 10 USD an die Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc. bei P.O. Box 1776 Tarentum, PA 15084.

Unterstützen Sie den lokalen Journalismus und helfen Sie uns, weiterhin über die Geschichten zu berichten, die für Sie und Ihre Gemeinde wichtig sind.

Die täglichen und wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter von TribLIVE liefern Ihnen die gewünschten Nachrichten und Informationen direkt in Ihren Posteingang.


Besichtigung der historischen Wahrzeichen von Tarent anlässlich des 175-jährigen Bestehens des Bezirks

Eintritt: Frei, aber Reservierung wird empfohlen. Rufen Sie 724-612-0076 an. Eine zweite Bustour startet um 13:00 Uhr. wenn Reservierungen es rechtfertigen.

Die täglichen und wöchentlichen E-Mail-Newsletter von TribLIVE liefern Ihnen die gewünschten Nachrichten und Informationen direkt in Ihren Posteingang.

Tarentum hat in seiner 175-jährigen Geschichte viele Sehenswürdigkeiten angesammelt.

Und am Samstag werden diese Wahrzeichen Geschichten zu erzählen haben.

Eine Bustour zu 15 historischen Wahrzeichen von Tarentum beginnt um 10 Uhr in der Snackbar im Riverview Park.

Die Gastgeberin und Lokalhistorikerin Cindy Homburg wird diejenigen begleiten, die die Reise zu den Sehenswürdigkeiten unternehmen, und deren Hintergründe erzählen.

"Die Tour wird ungefähr zwei Stunden dauern", sagte Homburg. "Wir werden in der Lage sein, auf einige, aber nicht alle, Sehenswürdigkeiten einzugehen."

Eine Station wird das Malarkey House an der East 10th Avenue sein, das 1892 erbaut wurde und heute das Zuhause der Anwaltskanzlei Paz, Paz und Paz ist.

"Es war das Walters Funeral Home von den 1940er Jahren, bis unsere Familie es 1984 kaufte", sagte Anwalt John Paz. "Ich wusste, dass es ein sehr altes Gebäude ist. Wir haben es nicht wegen seiner Geschichte gekauft, aber wir haben es restauriert."

Paz hat historische Tapetendrucke im Willliamsburg-Stil installiert, die Veranda umschlossen und Möbel platziert, um die Architektur der französischen Empire-Ära zu ergänzen.

Der alte Speisesaal wurde als Konferenzraum restauriert.

„Es würde einen Knopf geben, um das Dienstmädchen herbeizurufen“, sagte Paz. "Im dritten Stock gab es einen Ballsaal, und es gab eine Treppe zum Dach."

Der Malarkey House-Stein wurde von der McFetridge Brick Co. aus Creighton bereitgestellt.

"Der Ort ist wunderschön", sagte Homburg. "Nachdem die Familie Malarkey es gebaut hatte, gingen sie nach Westen, kehrten aber nach Tarentum zurück."

Andere Gebäude mit historischen Wahrzeichen sind die Pollock Masonic Lodge in der Lock Street, die 1907 erbaut wurde.

Die Loge wurde nach dem stellvertretenden Bezirksgroßmeister Alexander M. Pollock benannt.

"Es ist ungefähr das einzige Wahrzeichen, das aus dem Grund seiner Erbauung noch genutzt wird", sagte Homburg.

Eines der anderen Wahrzeichen ist das Lardin House Hotel, das sich an der Ecke Fourth Avenue und Wood Street befindet.

Es ist eines der ersten Hotels von Tarent und wurde 1864 von Daniel Lardin erbaut.

Bemerkenswerte Gäste dort waren Präsident William Howard Taft, Grenzgänger Kit Carson und Mäßigungsanwältin Carrie Nation, die in der Tarentum Free Methodist Church Vorträge über die Sünden von Alkohol und Rauchen hielten.

John B. Ford, Gründer der amerikanischen Flachglasindustrie und Ford City Borough, übernachtete im Lardin House, als er feststellte, dass der Sand am Ufer des Allegheny River der Glasherstellung förderlich war.

Weitere Stationen auf der Tour sind der Bahnhof Tarentum, die alte Straßenbahn- und Busscheune, die heute die Heimat von Highland Tire ist, der alte YMCA, die Grandview Elementary School, ehemals Tarentum High School, der Chapman Drug Store, Ecke Lock und Fifth, Kennedy Bank in Lock and Fifth das Humes House in East Ninth das Kennedy House in der Lock Street das Riverview Park Monument das Blockhaus, wo Bull Creek auf den Allegheny River trifft und die historische Bezeichnung des Gründers von Tarentum, Richter Henry Marie Brackenridge, in der First Commonwealth Bank, Ecke von East Sixth und Corbet.

Die Tour ist Teil der Feierlichkeiten zum 175-jährigen Jubiläum von Tarent.

George Guido ist freiberuflicher Autor.

Unterstützen Sie den lokalen Journalismus und helfen Sie uns, weiterhin über die Geschichten zu berichten, die für Sie und Ihre Gemeinde wichtig sind.


Über die Historische Gesellschaft Alle-Kiski

Die Alle-Kiski Historical Society mit Sitz in Tarentum, PA, ist eine lokale Organisation, die sich der Erforschung und Erhaltung der Geschichte von Tarentum widmet. Der Historische Verein fördert die Wertschätzung der Vergangenheit mit einem Schwerpunkt auf der lokalen Geschichte. Neben dem Sammeln und Bewahren von historischen Artefakten, Fotografien und persönlichen Geschichten führt die Historical Society Nachforschungen über lokale Familien und Unternehmen im Allegheny County durch, die sie der Öffentlichkeit durch Ausstellungen präsentieren. Die Historische Gesellschaft stellt auch öffentliche historische Aufzeichnungen zur Verfügung.


Byzantinische katholische Kirche der Heiligen Peter und Paul Tarentum, PA

Am Geburtsdatum von SS. Peter und Paul Church, 3. Juli 1918, trafen sich etwa 75 Familien russischer und ungarischer Herkunft im Borough of Brackenridge. Die Gemeinde wurde am 19. Juli 1918 rechtlich eingetragen. Kurz darauf kaufte die Gemeinde eine Kirche und ein Haus in der Mile Lock Lane in Brackenridge.

Der erste ortsansässige Pfarrer, Pater Gabriel Chopey, wurde 1921 ernannt. Die Gemeinde florierte. Es wurden verschiedene Pfarrgruppen organisiert, darunter Altar- und Rosenkranzvereine, Chorvereine und Männerclubs. Als die Gemeinde wuchs, beschlossen sie, den Standort der Kirche von Brackenridge nach West Tarentum zu verlegen. 1929 kaufte die Gemeinde die St. Peter’s Hall und das angrenzende Grundstück an der West Eighth Avenue in Tarentum. Sie bauten dieses Gebäude zur Pfarrkirche um, die der Gemeinde für die nächsten 25 Jahre diente.

1952 ernannte Bischof Daniel Ivancho Pater Michael G. Pipik zum Pastor mit der Weisung, in einem geeigneten Gebiet eine neue Kirche zu bauen. Nach einer langwierigen Suche hatte die Gemeinde das Glück, das Smith Estate in 339 East Tenth Avenue und das angrenzende Grundstück zu erhalten. Das erste Projekt war der Umbau des Hauses, das zum Pfarrhaus wurde. Es wurde am 15. November 1953 gesegnet.

Der Spatenstich für die neue Kirche erfolgte am 4. April 1954. Die Kirche wurde am 6. Mai 1956 von Bischof Nicholas Elko feierlich geweiht. Bischof Elko kehrte am 8. Juni 1958 in die Kirche zurück, um die Glasfenster, Wandmalereien und Marmorschreine. Am 4. Mai 1969 feierte die Pfarrei ihr 50-jähriges Bestehen, als Bischof Stephen J. Kocisko (damals designierter Erzbischof der neugeschaffenen Erzparchie) den neuen Heiligen Tisch (Altar) aus Marmor der Kirche segnete.

Mitglieder der Gemeinde leben im gesamten Allegheny Valley mit vier Landkreisen: Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler und Westmoreland. Der Gemeindekomplex befindet sich entlang der East Tenth Avenue, der Hauptverkehrsstraße, die Natrona Heights, Brackenridge und Tarentum verbindet. Es ist weniger als einen Block von der Tarentum Bridge Road (ehemals Ausfahrt 14 der Route 28 Allegheny Valley Expressway) entfernt, die den Allegheny River nach New Kensington, Lower Burrell und Arnold überquert. Die Kirche ist sowohl von den Ausfahrtsrampen der Route 28 als auch von der Tarentum Bridge bei der Überfahrt von New Kensington aus sichtbar.

In den letzten Jahren wurden erhebliche Anstrengungen unternommen, um das Gemeindeeigentum zu erhalten und zu aktualisieren. In der Kirche und im Pfarrhaus wurden neue Heizungs- und Klimaanlagen installiert. 1998 wurde in der Kirche ein neuer Teppichboden verlegt und alle Buntglasfenster mit Schutzglas versehen. Das Pfarrhaus hat ein neues Dach, Bäder und Fußböden.

SS. Die Peter-und-Paul-Kirche mit ihren Seitenwänden aus farbigem Sandstein und ihrem roten Schieferdach bleibt ein Juwel der Nachbarschaft und der Gemeinde.


Wörterbuch der griechischen und römischen Geographie (1854) William Smith, LLD, Ed.

Suchleiste ausblenden Ihre aktuelle Position im Text ist blau markiert. Klicken Sie auf eine beliebige Stelle in der Zeile, um zu einer anderen Position zu springen:

Dieser Text ist Teil von:
Text in Aufteilungen anzeigen nach:
Inhaltsverzeichnis:

TARENTUM

Tarent war eine griechische Stadt, eine Kolonie Spartas, die innerhalb weniger Jahre nach den beiden achäischen Kolonien Sybaris und Crotona gegründet wurde. Die Umstände, die zu ihrer Gründung führten, werden mit einigen Variationen von Antiochus und Ephorus (beide von Strabo zitiert) erzählt, aber beide Autoren stimmen in der Hauptsache überein, dass die Kolonisten eine Gruppe junger Männer waren, die während des Ersten Messenischen Krieges unter Umständen geboren wurden, die überwarfen ihre Geburt einen Makel der Unehelichkeit, weshalb sie von den anderen Bürgern mit Verachtung behandelt wurden, und nach einem gescheiterten Versuch, eine Revolution in Sparta zu schaffen, beschlossen sie, in einer Gruppe unter einem Führer namens Phalanthus auszuwandern. Sie zeichneten sich in Anspielung auf ihre Herkunft durch den Beinamen Partheniae aus. Phalanthus, der offenbar selbst einer der verachteten Klasse angehörte und nach Rücksprache mit dem Orakel von Delphi der Chef der Verschwörer von Sparta gewesen war, wurde der Führer und Gründer der neuen Kolonie. (Antiochus, Ap. Strab. vi. S.278 Ephorus, Ib. P. 279 Serv. ad Aen. 3.551 Diode. 15.66 Justin, 3.4 Scymn. CH. 332 .) Sowohl Antiochus als auch Ephorus stellen sie als sich ohne Schwierigkeiten vor Ort fest und wurden von den Eingeborenen freundlich aufgenommen, und dies ist weit wahrscheinlicher als die Aussage von Pausanias, nach der sie sich in ständigem Kampf befanden und es war erst nach langem Ringen gelang es ihnen, Tarent zu Meistern zu machen. ( Pause. 10.10.6 .) Derselbe Autor stellt diese Stadt dar, die zuvor von den indigenen Stämmen besetzt war und bereits eine große und mächtige Stadt ist, aber dies ist höchst unwahrscheinlich. The name, however, is probably of native origin, and seems to have been derived front that of the small river or stream which always continued to be known as the Taras though, as usual, the Greeks derived it from an eponymous hero named Taras, who was represented as a son of Neptune and a nymph of the country. (Paus. Ib. § 8.) It is certain that the hero Taras continued to be an object of special worship at Tarentum, while Phalanthus, who was revered as their Oekist, was frequently associated with him, and gradually became the subject of many legends of a very mythical character, in some of which he appears to have been confounded with Taras himself. ( Pause. 10.10 . § § 6--8, 13.10 Serv. ad Aen. l.c.) Nevertheless, there is no reason to doubt the historical character of Phalanthus, or the Lacedaemonian origin of Tarentum, which was confirmed by numerous local names and religious observances still retained there down to a very late period. (Pol. 8.30, 35.) The Roman poets also abound in allusions to this origin of the Tarentines. ( Hor. Karm. 3.5.56 , 2.6. 11 Ovid. Getroffen. 15.50, &c.) The date of the foundation of Tarentum is given by Hieronymus as B.C. 708, and this, which is in accordance with the circumstances related in connection with it, is probably correct, though no other author has mentioned the precise date. (Hieron. Chr. ad Ol. xviii.)

The history of Tarentum, for the first two centuries of its existence, is, like that of most other cities of Magna Graecia, almost wholly unknown. But the main fact is well attested that it attained to great power and prosperity, though apparently at first overshadowed by the superior power of the Achaean cities, so that it was not till a later period that it assumed the predominant position among the cities of Magna Graecia, which it ultimately attained. There can be no doubt that it owed this prosperity mainly to the natural advantages of its situation. ( Scymn. Ch. 332 - 336 Strab. vi. p.278 .) Though its territory was not so fertile, or so well adapted for the growth of grain as those of Metapontum and Siris, it was admirably suited for the growth of olives, and its pastures produced wool of the finest quality, while its port, or inner sea as it was called, abounded in shell-fish of all descriptions, among which the Murex, which produced the celebrated purple dye, was the most important and valuable. But it was especially the excellence of its port to which Tarentum owed its rapid rise to opulence and power. This was not only landlocked and secure, but was the only safe harbour of any extent on the whole shores of the Tarentine gulf and as neither Brundusium nor Hydruntum, on the opposite side of the Messapian peninsula, had as yet attained to any eminence, or fallen into the hands of a seafaring people, the port of Tarentum became the chief emporium for the commerce of all this part of Italy. (Pol. 10.1 Flor. 1.18.3 .) The story of Arion, as related by Herodotus ( 1.24 ) indicates the existence of extensive commercial relations with Corinth and other cities of Greece as early as the reign of Periander, B.C. 625--585.

As the Tarentines gradually extended their power over the adjoining territories, they naturally came into frequent collision with the native tribes of the interior,--the Messapians and Peucetians and the first events of their history recorded to us relate to their wars with these nations. Their offerings at Delphi noticed by Pausanias ( 10.10.6 , 13.10 ), recorded victories over both these nations, in one of which it appears that Opis, making of the Iapygians, who had come to the assistance of the Peucetians, was slain but we have no knowledge of the dates or circumstances of these battles. It would appear, however, that the Tarentines were continually gaining ground, and making themselves masters of the Messapian towns one after the other, until their progress was checked by a great disaster, their own forces, together with those of the Rhegians, who had been sent to their assistance, being totally defeated by the barbarians with great slaughter. ( Hdt. 7.170 Diode. 11.52 .). So heavy was their [p. 2.1096] loss that Herodotus, without stating the numbers, says it was the greatest slaughter of Greeks that had occurred up to his time. The loss seems to have fallen especially upon the nobles and wealthier citizens, so that it became the occasion of a political revolution, and the government, which had previously been an aristocracy, became thenceforth a pure democracy. (Arist. Pol. 5.3.) Of the internal condition and constitution of Tarentum previously to this time, we know scarcely anything, but it seems probable that its institutions were at first copied from those of the parent city of Sparta. Aristotle speaks of its government as a πολίτεια, in the sense of a mixed government or commonwealth while Herodotus incidentally notices a king of Tarentum (3.156), not long before the Persian War, who was doubtless a king after the Spartan model. The institutions of a democratic tendency noticed with commendation by Aristotle ( Aristot. Pol. 6.5 ) probably belong to the later and democratic period of the constitution. We hear but little also of Tarentum in connection with the revolutions arising out of the influence exercised by the Pythagoreans: that sect had apparently not established itself so strongly there as in the Achaean cities though many Tarentines are enumerated among the disciples of Pythagoras, and it is clear that the city had not altogether escaped their influence. (Iambl. Vit. Pyth. 262, 266 Porphyr. Vit. Pyth. 56.)

The defeat of the Tarentines by the Messapians, which is referred by Diodorus to B.C. 473 ( Diode. 11.52 ), is the first event in the history of Tarentum to which we can assign a definite date. Great as that blow may have been, it did not produce any permanent effect in checking the progress of the city, which still appears as one of the most flourishing in Magna Graecia. We next hear of the Tarentines as interfering to prevent the Thurians, who had been recently established in Italy, from making themselves masters of the district of the Siritis. On what grounds the Tarentines could lay claim to this district, which was separated from them by the intervening territory of Metapontum, we are not informed but they carried on war for some time against the Thurians, who were supported by the Spartan exile Cleandridas until at length the dispute was terminated by a compromise, and a new colony named Heracleia was founded in the contested territory (B.C. 432), in which the citizens of both states participated, but it was agreed that it should be considered as a colony of Tarentum. (Antioch. ap. Strab. vi. S.264 Diode. 12.23 , 36 .) At the time of the Athenian expedition to Sicily, the Tarentines kept aloof from the contest, and contented themselves with refusing all supplies and assistance to the Athenian fleet ( Thuc. 6.44 ), while they afforded shelter to the Corinthian and Laconian ships under Gylippus (Ib. 104), but they did not even prevent the second fleet under Demosthenes and Eurymedon from touching at the islands of the Choerades, immediately opposite to the entrance of their harbour, and taking on board some auxiliaries furnished by the Messapians. (Id. 7.33.)

Another long interval now elapses, during which the history of Tarentum is to us almost a blank yet the few notices we hear of the city represent it as in a state of great prosperity. We are told that at one time (apparently about 380--360 B.C.) Archytas, the Pythagorean philosopher, exercised a paramount influence over the government, and filled the office of Strategus or general no less than seven times, though it was prohibited by law to hold it more than once and was successful in every campaign. ( D. L. 8.4 . § § 79--82.) It is evident, therefore, that the Tarentines were far from enjoying unbroken peace. The hostilities alluded to were probably but a renewal of their old warfare with the Messapians but the security of the Greek cities in Italy was now menaced by two more formidable foes, Dionysius of Syracuse in the south, and the Lucanians on the north and west. The Tarentines, indeed seem to have at first looked upon both dangers with comparative indifference: their remote position secured them from the immediate brunt of the attack, and it is even doubtful whether they at first joined in the general league of the Greek cities to resist the danger which threatened them. Meanwhile, the calamities which befel the more southern cities, the destruction of some by Dionysius, and the humiliation of others, tended only to raise Tarentum in comparison, while that city itself enjoyed an immunity from all hostile attacks and it seems certain that it was at this period that Tarentum first rose to the preponderating position among the Greek cities in Italy, which it thenceforth enjoyed without a rival. It was apparently as an acknowledgment of that superiority, that when Tarentum had joined the confederacy of the Greek cities, the place of meeting of their congress was fixed at the Tarentine colony of Heracleia. ( Strab. vi. p.280 .)

It was impossible for the Tarentines any longer to keep aloof from the contest with the Lucanians, whose formidable power was now beginning to threaten all the cities in Magna Graecia and they now appear as taking a leading part in opposing the progress of those barbarians. But they were not content with their own resources, and called in successively to their assistance several foreign leaders and generals of renown. The first of these was the Spartan king Archidamus, who crossed over into Italy with a considerable force. Of his operations there we have no account, but he appears to have carried on the war for some years, as Diodorus places his first landing in Italy in B.C. 346, while the battle in which he was defeated and slain was not fought till the same time as that of Chaeroneia, B.C. 338. ( Diode. 16.63 , 88 .) This action, in which Archidamus himself, and almost all the troops which he had brought with him from Greece perished, was fought (as we are told), not with the Lucanians, but with the Messapians, in the neighbourlhood of Manduria, only 24 miles from Tarentum (Plut. Agis. 3 Pause. 3.10.5 Diode. l.c.) but there can be no doubt, however, that both nations were united, and that the Lucanians lent their support to the Messapians, as the old enemies of Tarentum. Henceforth, indeed, we find both names continually united. A few years after the death of Archidamus, Alexander, king of Epirus, was invited by the Tarentines, and landed in Italy, B.C. 332. The operations of his successive campaigns, which were continued till B.C. 326, are very imperfectly known to us, but he appears to have first turned his arms against the Messapians, and compelled them to conclude a peace with the Tarentines, before he proceeded to make war upon the Lucanians and Bruttians. But his arms were attended with considerable success in this quarter also: he defeated the Samnites and Lucanians in a great battle near Paestum, and penetrated into the heart of the Bruttian [p. 2.1097] territory. Meanwhile, however, he had quarrelled with his allies the Tarentines, so that he turned against them, took their colony of Heracleia, and endeavoured to transfer the congress of the Greek cities from thence to a place on the river Acalandrus, in the territory of Thurii. ( Strab. vi. p.280 Leben 8.24 Gerade. 12.2 .) Hence his death, in B.C. 226, only liberated the Tarentines from an enemy instead of depriving them of an ally. They appear from this time to have either remained tranquil or carried on the contest single-handed, till B.C. 303, when we find them again invoking foreign assistance, and, as on a former occasion, sending to Sparta for aid. This was again furnished them, and a large army of mercenaries landed at Tarentum under Cleonymus, the uncle of the Spartan king. But though he compelled the Messapians and Lucanians to sue for peace, Cleonymus soon alienated the minds of his Greek allies by his arrogance and luxurious habits, and became the object of general hatred before he quitted Italy. ( Diode. 20.104 .) According to Strabo, the Tarentines subsequently called in the assistance of Agathocles ( Strab. vi. p.280 ) but we find no mention of this elsewhere, and Diodorus tells us that he concluded an alliance with the Iapygians and Peucetians, which could hardly have been done with favourable intentions towards Tarentum. (Diod. xxi. p. 490.)

Not long after this the Tarentines first came into collision with a more formidable foe than their neighbours, the Messapians and Lucanians. The wars of the Romans with the Samnites, in which the descendants of the latter people, the Apulians and Lucanians, were from time to time involved, had rendered the name and power of Rome familiar to the Greek cities on the Tarentine gulf and coast of the Adriatic, though their arms were not carried into that part of Italy till about B.C. 283, when they rendered assistance to the Thurians against the Lucanians [THURII]. But long before this, as early as the commencement of the Second Samnite War (B.C. 326), the Tarentines are mentioned in Roman history as supporting the Neapolitans with promises of succour, which, however, they never sent and afterwards exciting the Lucanians to war against the Romans. ( Leben 8.27 .) Again, in B.C. 321 we are told that they sent a haughty embassy to command the Samnites and Romans to desist from hostilities, and threatened to declare war on whichever party refused to obey. (Id. 9.14.) But on this occasion also they did not put their threat in execution. At a subsequent period, probably about B.C. 303 (Arnold's Rom, vol. ii. P. 315), the Tarentines concluded a treaty with Rome, by which it was stipulated that no Roman ships of war should pass the Lacinian cape. (Appian, Samnit. 7.) It was therefore a direct breach of this treaty when, in B.C. 302, a Roman squadron of ten ships under L. Cornelius, which had been sent to the assistance of the Thurians, entered the Tarentine gulf, and even approached within sight of the city. The Tarentines, whose hostile disposition was already only half concealed, and who are said to have been the prime movers in organising the confederacy against Rome which led to the Fourth Samnite War ( Zonar. 8.2 .), immediately attacked the Roman ships, sunk four of them, and took one. After this they proceeded to attack the Thurians on account of their having called in the Romans, expelled the Roman garrison, and made themselves masters of the city. (Appian, Samn. 7.1 Zonar. 8.2 .) The Romans sent an embassy to Tarentum to complain of these outrages but their demands being refused, and their ambassador treated with contunmely, they had now no choice but to declare war upon the Tarentines, B.C. 281. (Appian, l.c. § 2 Zonar. l.c. Dio Cass. NS. 145.) Nevertheless, the war was at first carried on with little energy but meanwhile the Tarentines, following their usual policy, had invited Pyrrhus, king of Epirus, to their assistance. That monarch readily accepted the overture, and sent over his general Milo to occupy the citadel of Tarentum with 3000 men, while he himself followed in the winter. ( Zonar. 8.2 Plut. Pyrrh. fünfzehn , 16 .)

It is usual to represent the Tarentines as at this period sunk in luxury and effeminacy, so that they were unable to defend themselves, and hence compelled to have recourse to the assistance of Pyrrhus. But there is certainly much exaggeration in this view. They were no doubt accustomed to rely much upon the arms of mercenaries, but so were all the more wealthy cities of Greece and it is certain that the Tarentines themselves (apart from their allies and mercenaries), furnished not only a considerable body of cavalry, but a large force or phalanx of heavy-armed infantry, called the Leucaspids, from their white shields, who are especially mentioned as serving under Pyrrhus at the battle of Asculum. (Dionys. xx. Fr. Didot. 1, 5.) It is unnecessary here to repeat the history of the campaigns of that, monarch. His first successes for a time saved Tarentum itself from the brunt of the war: but when he at length, after his final defeat by Curius, withdrew from Italy (B.C. 274), it was evident that the full weight of the Roman arms would fall upon Tarentum. Pyrrhus, indeed, left Milo with a garrison to defend the city, but the Tarentines themselves were divided into two parties, the one of which was disposed to submit to Rome, while the other applied for assistance to Carthage. A Carthaginian fleet was actually sent to Tarentum, but it arrived too late, for Milo had already capitulated and surrendered the citadel into the hands of the Roman consul Papirius, B.C. 272. ( Zonar. 8.6 Oros. 4.3 .)

From this time Tarentum continued subject to Rome. The inhabitants were indeed left in possession of their own laws and nominal independence, but the city was jealously watched and a Roman legion seems to have been commonly stationed there. (Pol. 2.24.) During the First Punic War the Tarentines are mentioned as furnishing ships to the Romans (Pol. 1.20): but with this exception we hear no more of it till the Second Punic War, when it became a military post of great importance. Hannibal was from an early period desirous to make himself master of the city, which, with its excellent port, would at once have secured his communications with Africa. It is evident also that there was a strong Carthaginian party in the city, who shortly after the battle of Cannae, opened negotiations with Hannibal, and renewed them upon a subsequent occasion ( Leben 22.61 , 24.13 ) but they were kept down by the presence of the Roman garrison, and it was not till B.C. 212 that Nico and Philemenus, two of the leaders of this party, found an opportunity to betray the city into his hands. ( Leben 25.8 - 10 Pol. 8.26--33.) Even then the Roman garrison still held the citadel and Hannibal having failed in his attempts to carry this fortress by assault, was compelled to resort to a blockade. He cut it off on [p. 2.1098] the land side by drawing a double line of fortifications across the isthmus, and made himself master of the sea by dragging a part of the fleet which was shut up within the inner port (or Mare Piccolo), across the narrowest part of the isthmus, and launching it again in the outer bay. (Pol. 8.34--36 Leben 25.11 .) This state of things continued for more than two years, during the whole of which time the Carthaginians continued masters of the city, while the Roman garrison still maintained possession of the citadel, and the besiegers were unable altogether to prevent them from receiving supplies from without, though on one occasion the Romans, having sent a considerable fleet under D. Quintius to attempt the relief of the place, this was met by the Tarentines, and after an obstinate conflict the Roman fleet was defeated and destroyed. ( Leben 25.15 , 26.39 , 27.3 .) At length in B.C. 209 Fabius determined if possible to wrest from Hannibal the possession of this important post and laid siege to Tarentum while the Carthaginian general was opposed to Marcellus. He himself encamped on the N. of the port, close to the entrance, so that he readily put himself in communication with M. Livius, the commander of the citadel. But while he was preparing his ships and engines for the assault, an accident threw in his way the opportunity of surprising the city, of which he made himself master with little difficulty. The Carthaginian garrison was put to the sword, as well as a large part of the inhabitants, and the whole city was given up to plunder. (Id. 27.12, 15, 16 Plut. Fab. 21 - 23 .) Livy praises the magnanimity of Fabius in not carrying off the statues and other works of art in which Tarentum abounded ( Leben 27.16 Plut. Fab. 23 ) but it is certain that he transferred from thence to Rome a celebrated statue of Hercules by Lysippus, which long continued to adorn the Capitol. ( Strab. vi. p.278 Plin. Nat. 34.7. S. 18 .) The vast quantity of gold and silver which fell into the hands of the victors sufficiently bears out the accounts of the great wealth of the Tarentines. (Liv. l.c.

Tarentum had already suffered severely on its capture by Hannibal, and there can be no doubt that it sustained a still severer blow when it was retaken by Fabius. ( Strab. vi. p.278 .) It was at first proposed to degrade it to a condition similar to that of Capua, but this was opposed by Fabius, and the decision was postponed till after the war. ( Leben 27.25 .) What the final resolution of the senate was, we know not but Tarentum is alluded to at a subsequent period, as still retaining its position of an allied city, “urbs foederata.” ( Leben 35.16 .) It is certain that it still remained the chief place in this part of Italy, and was the customary residence of the praetor or other magistrate who was sent to the S. of Italy. Thus we find in B.C. 185, L. Postumius sent thither to carry on investigations into the conspiracies that had arisen out of the Bacchanalian rites, as well as among the slave population. ( Leben 39.29 , 41 .) But it is nevertheless clear that it was (in common with the other Greek cities of this part of Italy) fallen into a state of great decay and hence, in B.C. 123, among the colonies sent out by C. Gracchus, was one to Tarentum, which appears to have assumed the title of Colonia Neptunia. ( Vell. 1.15 Plin. Nat. 3.11. S. 16 see Mommsen, in Berichte der Sächsischen Gesellschaft for 1849, pp. 49--51.) According to Strabo this colony became a flourishing one, and the city enjoyed considerable prosperity in his day. But it was greatly fallen from its former splendour, and only occupied the site of the ancient citadel, with a small part of the adjoining isthmus. ( Strab. vi. p.278 .) It was, however, one of the few cities which still retained the Greek language and manners, in common with Neapolis and Rhegium. (Ib. P. 253.) The salubrity of its climate, as well as the fertility of its territory, and, above all, the importance of its port, preserved it from the complete decay into which so many of the cities of Magna Graecia fell under the Roman government. It is repeatedly mentioned during the civil wars between Octavian, Antony, and Sex. Pompeius as a naval station of importance and it was there that in B.C. 36 a fresh arrangement was come to between Octavian and Antony, which we find alluded to by Tacitus as the “Tarentinum foedus.” (Appian, App. BC 2.40 , 5.50 , 80 , 84 , 93 --99 Tac. Ann. 1.10.

Even under the Empire Tarentum continued to be one of the chief seaports of Italy, though in some measure eclipsed by the growing importance of Brundusium. ( Tac. Ann. 14.12 , Hist. 2.83.) An additional colony of veterans was sent there under Nero, but with little effect, most of them having soon again dispersed. ( Tac. Ann. 14.27. ) No subsequent mention of Tarentum is found in history until after the fall of the Western Empire, but it then appears as a considerable town, and bears an important part in the Gothic Wars on account of its strength as a fortress, and the excellence of its port. (Procop. B. G. 3.23, 27, 37, 4.26, 34.) It was taken by Belisarius, but retaken by Totila in A.D. 549, and continued in the hands of the Goths till it was finally wrested from them by Narses. From that time it continued subject to the Byzantine Empire till A.D. 661, when it was taken by the Lombard Romoaldus, duke of Beneventum (P. Diac. 6.1) and afterwards fell successively into the hands of the Saracens and the Greek emperors. The latter did not finally lose their hold of it till it was taken by Robert Guiscard in 1063. It has ever since formed part of the kingdom of Naples. The modern city of Tarentum has a population of about 20,000 souls it is the see of an archbishop, and still ranks as the most important city in this part of Italy. But it is confined to the space occupied by the ancient citadel, the extremity of the peninsula or promontory between the two ports: this is now an island, the low isthmus which connected it with the mainland having been cut through by king Ferdinand I., for the purpose of strengthening its fortifications.

Scarcely any remains are now extant of the celebrated and opulent city of Tarentum. “Never (says Swinburne) was a place more completely swept off the face of the earth.” Some slight remains of an amphitheatre (of course of Roman date) are visible outside the walls of the modern city while within it the convent of the Celestines is built on the foundations of an ancient temple. Even the extent of the ancient city can be very imperfectly determined. A few slight vestiges of the ancient walls are, however, visible near an old church which bears the name of Sta Maria di Murveta, about 2 miles from the gates of the modern city and there is no doubt that the walls extended from thence, on the one side to the Mare Piccolo, on the other side to the outer sea. The general form of the city was thus triangular, having the citadel at the apex, which is now joined to the opposite shore by a [p. 2.1099] bridge of seven arches. This was already the case in Strabo's time, though no mention of it is found at the time of the siege by Hannibal.

The general form and arrangement of the city cannot be better described than they are by Strabo. He says: “While the whole of the rest of the Tarentine gulf is destitute of ports, there is here a very large and fair port, closed at the entrance by a large bridge, and not less than 100 stadia in circumference. [This is beneath the truth: the Mare Piccolo is more than 16 miles (128 stadia) in circuit.] On the side towards the inner recess of the port it forms an isthmus with the exterior sea, so that the city lies upon a peninsula and the neck of the isthmus is so low that ships can easily be drawn over the land from one side to the other. The whole city also lies low, but rises a little towards the citadel. The ancient wall comprises a circuit of great extent but now the greater part of the space adjoining the isthmus is deserted, and only that part still subsists which adjoins the mouth of the port, where also the Acropolis is situated. The portion still remaining is such as to make up a considerable city. It has a splendid Gymnasium, and a good-sized Agora, in which stands the bronze colossal statue of Jupiter, the largest in existence next to that at Rhodes. In the interval between the Agora and the mouth of the port is the Acropolis, which retains only a few remnants of the splendid monuments with which it was adorned in ancient times. For the greater part were either destroyed by the Carthaginians when they took the city, or carried off as booty by the Romans, when they made themselves masters of it by assault. Among these is the colossal bronze statue of Hercules in the Capitol, a work of Lysippus, which was dedicated there as an offering by Fabius Maximus, who took the city.” ( Strab. vi. p.278 .)

In the absence of all extant remains there is very little to be added to the above description. But Polybius, in his detailed narrative of the capture of the city by Hannibal, supplies us with some local names and details. The principal gate on the E. side of the city, in the outer line of walls, seems to have been that called the Temenid Gate ( αἱ πύλαι Τημένιδαι, Pol. 8.30) outside of which was a mound or tumulus called the tomb of Hyacinthus, whose worship had obviously been brought from Sparta. A broad street called the Batheia, or Low Street, led apparently from this gate towards the interior of the city. This from its name may be conjectured to have lain close to the port and the water's edge, while another broad street led from thence to the Agora. (Ib. 31.) Another street called the Soteira ( Σωτεῖρα ) was apparently on the opposite side of the city from the Batheia, and must therefore have adjoined the outer sea. (Ib. 36.) Immediately adjoining the Agora was the Museum ( Μουσεῖον ), a public building which seems to have served for festivals and public banquets, rather than for any purposes connected with its name. (Ib. 27, 29.) There is nothing to indicate the site of the theatre, alluded to by Polybius on the same occasion, except that it was decidedly innerhalb the city, which was not always the case. Strabo does not notice it, but it must have been a building of large size, so as to be adapted for the general assemblies of the people, which were generally held in it, as was the case also at Syracuse and in other Greek cities. This is particularly mentioned on several occasions it was there that the Roman ambassadors received the insult which finally led to the ruin of the city. ( Flor. 1.18.3 V. Max. 2.2.5 Appian, Samnit. 7.)

Livy inaccurately describes the citadel as standing on lofty cliffs ( “praealtis rupibus,” 25.11): the, peninsula on which it stood rises indeed (as observed by Strabo) a little above the rest of the city, and it. is composed of a rocky soil but the whole site is low, and no part of it rises to any considerable elevation. The hills also that surround the Mare Piccolo are of trifling height, and slope very gradually to its banks, as well as to the shore of the outer sea. There can be no doubt that the, port of Tarentum, properly so called, was the inlet now called the Mare Piccolo or “Little Sea,” but outside this the sea on the S. side of the city forms a bay or roadstead, which affords good shelter to shipping, being partially sheltered from the SW. by the two small islands of S. Pietro und S. Paolo, apparently the same which were known in ancient times as the CHOERADES ( Thuc. 7.33 .)

Tarentum was celebrated in ancient times for the salubrity of its climate and the fertility of its territory. Its advantages in both respects are extolled by Horace in a well-known ode (Karm. 2.6), who says that its honey was equal to that of Hymettus, and its olives to those of Venafrum. Varro also praised its honey as the best in Italy (ap. Macrob. Sat. 2.12). Its oil and wines enjoyed a nearly equal reputation the choicest quality of the latter seems to have been that produced at Aulon (Hor. l.c. Martial, 13.125 Plin. Nat. 14.6. S. 8 ), a valley in the neighbourhood, on the slope of a hill still called Monte Melone [AULON]. But the choicest production of the neighbourhood of Tarentum was its wool, which appears to have enjoyed an acknowledged supremacy over that of all parts of Italy. ( Plin. Nat. 29.2. S. 9 Martial, l.c. Varr. R. R. 2.2.18 Strab. vi. p.284 Col. 7.2.3 .) Nor was this owing solely to natural advantages, as we learn that the Tarentines bestowed the greatest care upon the preservation and improvement of the breed of sheep. ( Col. 7.4 .) Tarentum was noted likewise for its breed of horses, which supplied the famous Tarentine cavalry, which was long noted among the Greeks. Their territory abounded also in various kinds of fruits of the choicest quality, especially pears, figs, and chestnuts, and though not as fertile in corn as the western shores of the Tarentine gulf, was nevertheless well adapted to its cultivation. At the same time its shores produced abundance of shell-fish of all descriptions, which formed in ancient times a favourite article of diet. Even at the present day the inhabitants of Taranto subsist to a great extent upon the shell-fish produced in the Mare Piccolo in a profusion almost incredible. Its Pectens or scallops enjoyed a special reputation with the Roman epicures. (Hor. Sat. 2.4. 34.) But by far the most valuable production of this class was the Murex, which furnished the celebrated purple dye. The Tarentine purple was considered second only to the Tyrian, and for a long time was the most valuable known to the Romans. (Corn. Nep. ap. Plin. 9.39. s. 63.) Even in the time of Augustus it continued to enjoy a high reputation. ( Hor. Ep. 2.1 , 207 .) So extensive were the manufactories of this dye at Tarentum that considerable mounds are still visible on the shore of the Mare Piccolo, composed wholly of broken shells of this species. (Swinburne's Travels, vol. ich. P. 239.) [p. 2.1100]

The climate of Tarentum, though justly praised by Horace for its mildness, was generally reckoned soft and enervating, and was considered as in some degree the cause of the luxurious and effeminate habits ascribed to the inhabitants ( “molle Tarentum,” Hor. Sat. 2.4. 34 “imbelle Tarentum,” Id. Ep. 1.7. 45.) It is probable that this charge, as in many other cases, was greatly exaggerated but there is no reason to doubt that the Tarentines, like almost all the other Greeks who became a manufacturing and commercial people, indulged in a degree of luxury far exceeding that of the ruder nations of Central Italy. The wealth and opulence to which they attained in the 4th century B.C. naturally tended to aggravate these evils, and the Tarentines are represented as at the time of the arrival of Pyrrhus enfeebled and degraded by luxurious indulgences, and devoted almost exclusively to the pursuit of pleasure. To such an excess was this carried that we are told the number of their annual festivals exceeded that of the days of the year. (Theopomp. ap. Athen. 4.166 Clearch. ap. Athen. 12.522 Strab. vi. p.280 Aelian, Ael. VH 12.30 .) Juvenal alludes to their love of feasting and pleasure when he calls it “coronatum ac petulans madidumque Tarentum” (6.297). But it is certain, as already observed, that they were not incapable of war: they furnished a considerable body of troops to the army of Pyrrhus and in the sea-fight with the Roman fleet off the entrance of the harbour, during the Second Punic War, they displayed both courage and skill in naval combat. ( Leben 26.39 .) In the time of their greatest power, according to Strabo, they could send into the field an army of 30,000 foot and 3000 horse, besides a body of 1000 select cavalry called Hipparchs. ( Strab. vi. p.280 .) The Tarentine light cavalry was indeed celebrated throughout Greece, so that they gave name to a particular description of cavalry, which are mentioned under the name of Tarentines ( Ταραντῖνοι ), in the armies of Alexander the Great and his successors and the appellation continued in use down to the period of the Roman Empire. (Arrian, Anab. Ausweis. Tact. 4 Pol. 4.77, 11.12 Leben 35.28 Aelian, Tact. 2. p. 14 Suidas, s. v. Ταραντῖνοι. ) It is probable, however, that these may have been always recruited in great part among the neighbouring Messapians and Sallentines, who also excelled as light horsemen.

With their habits of luxury the Tarentines undoubtedly combined the refinements of the arts usually associated with it, and were diligent cultivators of the fine arts. The great variety and beauty of their coins is, even at the present day, a sufficient proof of this, while the extraordinary numbers of them which are still found in the S. of Italy attest the wealth of the city. Ancient writers also speak of the numbers of pictures, statues, and other works of art with which the city was adorned, and of which. a considerable number were transported to Rome. ( Flor. 1.18 Strab. vi. p.278 Leben 27.16 .) Among these the most remarkable were the colossal statue of Jupiter, mentioned by Strabo (l.c.), and which was apparently still standing in the Agora in his time the bronze statue of Hercules by Lysippus already noticed and a statue of Victory, which was also carried to Rome, where it became one of the chief ornaments of the Curia Julia. ( D. C. 51.22 .) Nor were the Tarentines deficient in the cultivation of literature. In addition to Archytas, the Pythagorean philosopher, celebrated for his mathematical attainments and discoveries, who long held at Tarentum a place somewhat similar to that of Pericles at Athens ( D. L. 8.4 Suid. S. v. Ἀρχύτας Athen. 12.545 ), Aristoxenus, the celebrated musician and disciple of Aristotle, was a native of Tarentum as well as Rhinthon, the dramatic poet, who became the founder of a new species of burlesque drama which was subsequently cultivated by Sopater and other authors. (Suid. s. v. Ρίνθων. ) It was from Tarentum also that the Romans received the first rudiments of the regular drama, Livius Andronicus, their earliest dramatic poet, having been a Greek of Tarentum, who was taken prisoner when the city fell into their hands. ( Cic. Brut. 18

Polybius tells us that Tarentum retained many traces of its Lacedaemonian origin in local names and customs, which still subsisted in his day. Such was the tomb of Hyacinthus already mentioned (Pol. 8.30): the river Galaesus also was called by them the Eurotas (Ib. 35), though the native name ultimately prevailed. Another custom which he notices as peculiar was that of burying their dead within the walls of the city, so that a considerable space within the walls was occupied by a necropolis. (Ib. 30.) This custom he ascribes to an oracle, but it may have arisen (as was the case at Agrigentum and Syracuse) from the increase of the city having led to the original necropolis being inclosed within the walls.

The name of Tarentum (Taras) was supposed to be derived from a river of the name of TARAS ( Τάρας ), which is noticed by several ancient writers. ( Steph. B. sub voce Τάρας Pause. 10.10.8 .) This is commonly identified with a deep, but sluggish, stream, which flows into the sea about 4 miles W. of the entrance of the harbour of Tarentum, and is still called Tara, though corrupted by the peasantry into Fiume di Terra. (Romanelli, vol. i. p. 281 Swinburne, vol. i. p. 271.) The more celebrated stream of the GALAESUS flowed into the Mare Piccola or harbour of Tarentum on its N. shore: it is commonly identified with the small stream called Le Citrezze, an old church near which still retains the name of Sta Maria di Galeso. [GALAESUS] Another locality in the immediate neighbourhood of Tarentum, the name of which is associated with that of the city by Horace, is AULON a hill or ridge celebrated for the excellence of its wines. This is identified by local topographers, though on very slight grounds, with a sloping ridge on the seashore about 8 miles SE. of Tarentum, a part of which bears the name of Monte Melone, supposed to be a corruption of Aulone [AULON]. A more obscure name, which is repeatedly mentioned in connection with Tarentum, is that of SATURIUM ( Σατύριον ). From the introduction of this name in the oracle alleged to have been given to Phalanthus ( Strab. vi. p.279 ), it seems probable that it was an old native name, but it is not clear that there ever was a town or even village of the name. It is more probable that it was that of a tract or district in the neighbourhood of Tarentum. Stephanus of Byzantium distinctly calls it χώρα πλήσιον Τάραντος (s. v. Σατύριον ) and the authority of Servius, who calls it a Stadt (civitas) near Tarentum, is not worth much in comparison. There was certainly no Stadt of the name in historical times. Virgil applies the epithet “Saturium” (as an adjective) to Tarentum itself (Geory. 2.197 Serv. ad loc.: many commentators, however, consider “saturi” from “satur” [p. 2.1101] to be the true reading), and Hrace speaks of “Satureianus cabellus” as equivalent to Tarentine. ( Sat. i. 6. 59.) The memory of the locality is preserved by a watch-tower on the coast, about seven miles SE. of Tarentum, which is still called Torre di Saturo (Romanelli, vol. i. p. 294 Zannoni Carta del Regno di Napoli).

(Concerning the history and ancient institutions of Tarentum, see Heyne, Opuscula, vol. ii. pp. 217--232 and Lorentz, de Civitate Veterum Tarentinorum, 4to. Lips. 1833. The present state and localities are described by Swinburne, vol. i. pp. 225--270 Keppel Craven, Southern Tour, pp. 174--190 and Romandelli, vol. ich. pp. 282--289 but from the absence of existing remains, the antiquities of Tarentum have scarcely received as much attention as they deserve.)


Tarentum - History

After St. Clement’s closed in 2006, one of Follieri’s numerous corporations — CV12 216 W. Ninth Avenue LLC — bought the property in January 2007.

Men from the Vatican

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, from June 2005 through June 2007, Follieri ran a fraudulent real estate investment scheme, claiming that he had close connections with the Vatican — enabling him to purchase Catholic church properties at prices well below their market value.

He allegedly told people he formally was appointed by the Vatican to manage its financial affairs. Investigators say he raised investment capital for an “Italian office” that didn’t exist, including $800,000 on bogus “engineering reports” and other falsified business expenses.

Federal prosecutors say they have ample evidence that he spent as much as $6 million from his investors on a jet-setting lifestyle for himself, a girlfriend and others. The girlfriend is said to be actress Anne Hathaway, who dated Follieri for four years. Tabloid reports say the pair split last week.

Follieri is charged with various counts of conspiracy, wire fraud and money laundering. If he receives the maximum sentence, Follieri would spend life in prison and pay millions of dollars in fines.

A federal district court judge set Follieri’s bail at $21 million — $16 million must be in cash or property. Follieri also must relinquish his passport and get five other people to co-sign, assuming responsibility if he tries to escape. At press time, he was still in federal custody.

Undervalued

When Follieri’s company bought the former St. Clement’s property from the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh in January 2007, it was valued at $407, 000 — $337,000 for the building and $70,000 for the 23,000 square feet of adjoining land. Follieri, though, paid only $252,000 for it, according to Allegheny County records.

Follieri’s company also bought St. Patrick’s in Alpsville, Allegheny County, said the Rev. Ron Lengwin, diocesan spokesman.

“We were prepared to sell them (other unused properties), but it never got that far,” Lengwin said.

Follieri’s representatives did not tell diocesan officials they had ties to the Vatican, said Lengwin.

“Any church official could tell who was from the Vatican and who was not,” he said.

The property was sold to Follieri at the reduced price because “when you sell a piece of property that no one else wants, you have to sell it to the person who wants to buy it for what they’re willing to pay,” Lengwin said.

By the end of the year, the property was back on the market for $425,000.

The marketing agent trying to sell it, James Kelly of Grubb & Ellis in Pittsburgh, said he could not comment, as part of his contract with Follieri’s company.

Mehrere Anrufe an die Hauptzentrale der Follieri Group wurden von einer Rezeptionistin an eine nicht funktionierende Nummer weitergeleitet.

Tarentum Borough Manager Bill Rossey sagte, er habe von Follieri gehört, aber nicht gewusst, dass er das ehemalige Anwesen von St. Clement’s besitze und nichts davon gehört habe, was jetzt damit passieren könnte.

Nach Angaben von Mitarbeitern des US-Marshals’-Department of Asset Forfeiture könnten Follieri beschlagnahmt und verkauft werden, um den von ihm betrogenen Personen eine Entschädigung zu zahlen, wenn Follieri betrügerisch erlangt oder rechtmäßig erworbene Vermögenswerte zur Begehung einer Straftat verwendet wurde. Andere Optionen umfassen eine Einrede, die Immobilien zu verkaufen und die Vermögenswerte zu liquidieren, um eine Rückerstattung oder andere Strafen zu zahlen.

Nach letzten Schätzungen benötigt das Gebäude etwa 400.000 US-Dollar an Arbeit, bevor es wieder verwendet werden kann, einschließlich der Entfernung von Dach und Schimmel, sagte der örtliche katholische Historiker Charles “Skip” Culleiton aus New Kensington.

Ehemalige Gemeindemitglieder und lokale Katholiken möchten wahrscheinlich, dass das Gebäude für soziale Dienste oder für einen anderen Zweck verwendet wird, der die Gemeinschaft verbessern könnte, was Follieris Corporation ursprünglich versprochen hatte, sagte Culleiton.

“Das würde ihnen (Gemeinden, Katholiken) wahrscheinlich ein besseres Gefühl bei der ganzen Sache geben,” Culleiton.

List of site sources >>>


Schau das Video: Angelica Hales Journey To Super Star Americas Got Talent 2017 (Januar 2022).